NICE Evidence Services are a suite of services available through the NICE website that provide internet access to high-quality authoritative evidence and best practice information. The services cover health, social care and public health evidence. NICE Evidence Services are for everyone working in health and social care that make decisions about treatments, interventions or the use of resources.
While NICE Evidence Services are designed primarily for professionals and practitioners, patients and the wider public are also able to search most of the content.
NICE Evidence Services aim to help professionals make better and quicker evidence-based decisions and consist of the following 5 resources:
- Evidence search which provides free open access to selected and authoritative evidence in health, social care and public health.
- Journals and databases including Healthcare Database Advanced Search (HDAS), which is aimed at the expert user and provides access to an extensive set of journals and bibliographic databases. These are procured and managed by NICE and funded by Health Education England.
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS), which provide primary care practitioners with access to evidence-based guidance on over 330 key conditions presenting in primary care.
- British National Formulary (BNF) microsite, which provides open access to BNF and BNFC content across the UK.
- Evidence awareness services, which provide monthly, weekly and daily email services, to help busy professionals keep up-to-date with important new evidence in health and social care, public health and medicines.
New developments for 2015/16
The HDAS service is being redeveloped to improve its performance and stability as well as the user experience. The new live version of HDAS is due for launch in the first quarter of 2016-17.
Over the year 7 new CKS topics, based on published NICE clinical guidelines and other established guidance were added to the CKS collection. CKS provides a readily accessible summary of the current evidence base along with clear, practical knowledge to help primary care practitioners put UK guideline recommendations into practice.
The bulletins, alerts and evidence awareness service helps busy health and social care professionals keep up-to-date with important new evidence. The monthly Eyes on Evidence and Public Health Awareness bulletins and the daily and weekly medicines awareness service continued to provide regular updates and expert commentaries on emerging new evidence to all our registered users.
An additional service provided by NICE Evidence Services is UK PharmaScan – this is a secure horizon-scanning database with over 175 registered pharmaceutical companies recording information on new medicines in development. UK PharmaScan provides up-to-date information such as clinical trial and regulatory information to national horizon scanning groups and approved NHS organisations. NHS England uses UK PharmaScan as its primary source of horizon scanning information on new medicines.